How I Traveled Across Europe for Less Than €300

(Honest Guide)

By a solo backpacker | 12-day Central Europe trip, January 2026 | Updated for current prices | This post contains a few affiliate links — see note below.

Life Is Beautiful | Budget Travel & Affordable Tourism Tips

📋 In This Guide

1. The Dream vs. Reality  •  2. Picking the Right Cities  •  3. Scoring Cheap Flights  •  4. Where to Sleep for €7–15/Night  •  5. Getting Between Cities  •  6. Eating Well on €7 a Day  •  7. Free Things to See  •  8. The Funniest Mix-Up of the Trip  •  9. Full Budget Breakdown  •  10. My Top Tips  •  11. FAQ

1. The Dream That Sounded Impossible

I still remember the look on my friend's face when I told him I was planning a budget trip to Europe for around 300 euros. He laughed and said, flat out, "300 euros won't even cover a cheap one-way ticket." I smiled and didn't argue back — but inside, I'd already decided to take the challenge, or at least come as close to it as humanly possible.

It was January 2026. I was sitting in my room scrolling through pictures of Prague's old bridges and Vienna's grand squares, the way most of us do before a trip we're not sure we can afford. Like a lot of first-time backpackers, I assumed traveling to Europe on a low budget was basically a myth. A few days of digging into cheap flights, hostel prices, and regional trains later, I realized affordable travel in Europe is a lot more realistic than Instagram makes it look — you just need a plan.

This isn't a polished "perfect trip" guide selling you a fantasy. It's an honest backpacking Europe story from someone who got hopelessly lost in a German train station, accidentally ordered an overpriced Viennese cake without meaning to, and ended up spending more than planned. Because that's the truth about budget travel in Europe: things rarely go exactly to plan, and that's usually where the best stories come from.

2. Choosing Cheap Destinations: Let Your Wallet Decide, Not Instagram

Here's the first rule I learned the hard way: Europe is not priced equally, not even close. There's a massive cost gap between a city like Paris and a city like Budapest, or between Amsterdam and Kraków. Show up in an expensive Western European capital with a tight travel budget, and your money disappears in about 48 hours.

So instead of chasing the "dream cities" everyone posts about, I mapped out a smart, low-cost route through Central Europe: Budapest → Prague → Kraków → Vienna, over 12 days. Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Poland are consistently among the cheapest countries to visit in Europe for food, transport, and accommodation. I saved Vienna for the very end, mostly out of curiosity — a small taste of Western Europe without wrecking the whole budget.

If you're looking for the cheapest way to travel Europe on a backpacker budget, this is the honest answer: head toward Eastern Europe and the Balkans. Cities like Budapest, Kraków, Belgrade, or Sarajevo give you rich history, incredible architecture, and genuinely lively street culture — at a fraction of what you'd pay in Western Europe.

3. Cheap Flights to Europe: Where You Win or Lose Your Whole Budget

The single biggest mistake most budget travelers make? Booking flights last-minute, or on a weekend, when everyone else is also searching.

To find cheap flights to Europe, I used Google Flights and Skyscanner with flexible dates turned on, and I specifically looked at Tuesday and Wednesday departures, which tend to be quietly cheaper than Friday or Sunday flights. Booking about two and a half months ahead, I found a round-trip ticket to Budapest (via Istanbul) for a genuinely surprising 118 euros.

During my layover in Istanbul, I spent nearly four hours squinting at signs I couldn't read, before deciding to just follow a guy dragging a huge suitcase, on the theory that he clearly knew where he was going. He didn't. We ended up at the wrong gate together, laughing about it in two different languages neither of us fully spoke. That's backpacking for you — half logistics, half improvisation.

4. Cheap Accommodation in Europe: Hostels Aren't What You Think

If your mental image of a hostel is a dirty room with squeaky bunk beds, you're picturing something from a decade ago. Modern youth hostels tend to be clean, well-secured, and built around shared kitchens, common rooms, and free Wi-Fi — genuinely some of the best budget accommodation in Europe right now.

Here's exactly what I paid per night for a hostel bed on this trip:

Budapest: 8€  |  Prague: 10€  |  Kraków: 7€  |  Vienna: 15€

I compared cheap hostel prices and read real traveler reviews on Hostelworld, then cross-checked deals on Booking.com before locking anything in. If you want free accommodation in Europe, Couchsurfing is still very much alive — locals host you in exchange for a bit of cultural exchange and conversation. Just read host reviews carefully and trust your gut.

My first night in Budapest, I crept into the dorm room late, trying to be considerate. I reached for my phone to use the flashlight and somehow hit play on my music instead — full volume, at 1 a.m. Three roommates shot up in bed, someone muttered something unmistakably annoyed in German, and I apologized in three languages at once, none of them well. Welcome to hostel life.

5. Cheap Transport Between European Cities: Trains, Buses, and a Little Patience

When it comes to cheap public transport in Europe, overnight buses and regional trains are still the backpacker's best friend. An overnight bus does double duty — it moves you between cities and saves you a night of accommodation at the same time. I mostly relied on FlixBus and used Trainline to compare cheap train tickets before booking.

Here's exactly what I spent moving between cities:

Budapest → Prague (FlixBus): 9€  |  Prague → Kraków (Train): 14€  |  Kraków → Vienna (Train): 19€  |  Total transport: 42€

A fair warning, from someone who's lived it: a 7-hour overnight bus sounds like a flawless budget hack — right up until hour five, when you finally understand why some travelers happily pay more for a fast train. And always double-check your platform number and ticket conditions; missing a regional train connection because you were on the wrong platform is an easy (and annoying) way to lose both time and money.

💡 Quick tip: landing somewhere new and jet-lagged?

✈ Airport Transfer: Book a reliable airport pickup with Welcome Pickups → — Professional drivers, fixed prices, no surprises. Handy for late-night arrivals in Budapest, Prague, or Vienna when you just want to get to bed.

6. Cheap Food in Europe: Eating Well on About 7 Euros a Day

Food is where a low-cost travel plan quietly falls apart, especially if you keep eating right next to the main landmarks. I kept my daily food budget around 7–10 euros by sticking to a few simple rules:

  1. Local supermarkets are a lifesaver. Aldi in Budapest, Kaufland in Prague, Biedronka in Kraków — cheap bread, cheese, and fruit covered most of my breakfasts and lunches.
  2. Eat what locals actually eat. In Kraków, a plate of Polish pierogi (dumplings) cost me just 2.5 euros. In Budapest, a filling lángos (fried dough with sour cream and cheese) was about 2 euros. This is real, authentic, cheap street food — not a tourist trap.
  3. Walk five minutes away from the main square. Restaurant prices routinely drop by 30–40% once you're off the postcard streets.
  4. Cook in the hostel kitchen. One evening I pooled ingredients with an Italian traveler — he had pasta, I had tomatoes and garlic. We made a simple dinner, swapped travel stories for two hours, and both saved a good chunk of money.

In Prague, I once pointed at a random cheap item on a menu I couldn't read. It turned out to be fried liver, something I'd genuinely never tried before. It was, honestly, surprisingly good. Budget travel has a way of pushing you out of your comfort zone whether you plan for it or not.

7. Free Things to Do in Europe: The Best Sights Don't Cost a Cent

You don't need a stack of museum tickets to have a great time sightseeing in Europe. A lot of the most memorable landmarks cost nothing at all to experience.

In Budapest: Walking across the Chain Bridge and hiking up Gellért Hill for a panoramic view over the Danube is completely free — and honestly one of the best sunset spots I've seen.

In Prague: Watching the Astronomical Clock chime, or crossing Charles Bridge at sunrise before the tour groups arrive, is a quiet, free experience that's worth setting an early alarm for.

In Kraków: Wandering through Rynek Główny, one of the largest medieval town squares in Europe, doesn't cost a single złoty.

In Vienna: Strolling through Volksgarten or admiring the exterior gardens of Schönbrunn Palace is free — you can always visit the interior another time, on a bigger budget.

To actually learn the history behind these places, I joined free walking tours led by local student guides, tipping what I could afford at the end. My total spend on attractions and tours over 12 days: just 18 euros.

🎟️ Want to skip the queues for the sights that do charge admission?

✈ Book Attraction Tickets: Get skip-the-line tickets via Tiqets → — Instant confirmation, mobile tickets, no printing needed. Especially useful for Vienna's museums and Prague's busiest sites.

8. The Funniest Misunderstanding of the Whole Trip

On my last day in Vienna, I wanted to properly experience the city's famous coffee house culture. I sat down in a classic Viennese café and confidently ordered in my very basic German: "Einen Kaffee, bitte."

The waiter answered with a long, fast sentence I didn't understand a word of. Rather than admit I was lost, I smiled, nodded, and said "Ja, ja" with total confidence — the international backpacker signal for "please continue, I have no idea what's happening."

Ten minutes later, he returned with a generous slice of premium cake next to my coffee. My confident "Ja, ja" had apparently agreed to the day's featured dessert — a 14-euro splurge I never meant to order. I ate every bite in quiet, dignified silence, filing it away as one more reminder that language barriers are just part of the deal when you travel on a budget.

9. The Real Numbers — A Transparent Europe Travel Budget Breakdown

Travel Expense Category Cost (€)
Round-trip flight (via Istanbul to Budapest) 118€
Cheap hostel accommodation (12 nights, avg. 10€/night) 120€
Intercity transport (regional trains + FlixBus) 42€
Food & drinks (groceries + cheap street food) 84€
Free attraction tips & walking tour donations 18€
Unplanned costs (transit mix-up + the Viennese cake incident) ~83€
TOTAL TRIP COST 383€

Yes, I went over my original 300-euro target by 83 euros. Between the transit mix-up in Germany and my accidental cake indulgence in Vienna, plans meet reality and reality usually wins a little. But spending 383 euros total for a 12-day, four-country trip across Europe still proves the core point: budget backpacking through Europe is genuinely realistic, not just a headline.

10. My Top Tips for Backpacking Europe on a Budget

  • Book early, stay flexible. Cheap flights to Europe usually go to whoever books 2+ months ahead with flexible dates, not whoever searches hardest the week before.
  • Learn five phrases in the local language. "Hello," "thank you," "how much," "the bill, please," and "sorry, I don't understand" go a long way — locals notice the effort, and it usually pays off.
  • Carry a power bank and download offline maps. Old European city centers are a maze, and your phone dying in the middle of one is not a fun plot twist.
  • Walk everywhere you reasonably can. It's free, it keeps you active, and it's how you stumble onto the streets that never make it into a guidebook.
  • Stop comparing your trip to other people's photos. Curated travel photos almost never show the real cost, the wrong turns, or the tired feet — and comparing yourself to them is a losing game.

11. Frequently Asked Questions About Budget Travel in Europe

Is 300 euros really enough for a trip to Europe?

It's enough for flights and a few days in cheap Central or Eastern European cities if you stick to hostels, cook some of your own meals, and rely on free attractions. For a 10–12 day multi-city trip, a more realistic range is 350–450 euros, as this trip's real numbers show.

What is the cheapest region of Europe to backpack through?

Central and Eastern Europe — especially Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, and the Balkans — consistently offer the lowest costs for hostels, food, and local transport.

Are hostels safe for solo travelers?

Generally, yes, especially hostels with good, recent reviews on platforms like Hostelworld or Booking.com. Look for lockers, 24-hour reception, and reviews from other solo travelers before booking.

An Honest Conclusion

My favorite memories from this trip didn't come from any paid attraction. They came from a spontaneous conversation with an elderly man at a train station, a quiet sunrise over Charles Bridge before the crowds showed up, and sharing a simple pasta dinner with a stranger who became, for one evening, a friend.

Traveling Europe on a tight budget doesn't shrink the experience — if anything, it deepens it. You engage more with local culture, you improvise more, and you remember the trip differently because you earned every part of it. A modest budget is enough to get you there. Europe's beauty takes care of the rest.

─────────────────────────────────

🎯 Ready to Plan Your Own Budget Trip to Europe?

✈ Airport Transfers: Welcome Pickups — Book your airport pickup → — Fixed prices, professional drivers, available 24/7

✈ Museum & Attraction Tickets: Tiqets — Skip the queues with mobile tickets → — Instant confirmation, best price guarantee

Disclosure: some links in this article are affiliate links. If you book through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend services I actually used or would use myself.

Have questions about budget travel in Europe? Drop them in the comments — happy to share more specifics from the trip!